This is based on a very old post of mine. If we're going to fight, let's fight fair. Here's a few rules I would suggest to my readers. Especially those who comment:
- Be respectful. Don't name-call. Don't belittle others.? Example: "I believe there is a God because he talks to me!" "I always thought you were a stupid idiot!"
- Focus on the issue. Don't get personal. Maintain clarity on your view. Example: "If there is a God, why is there so much evil in the world?" "Ya, well, you're Satan! That's why, you stupid idiot!"
- Stay on point. Don't change the subject until you have dealt with the original issue. Example: "I don't like the church and refuse to be a part of such an abusive institution!" "Well, you weren't breast-fed enough! Let's talk about that, you stupid idiot!"
- Wait before writing. Don't respond when angry. Cool off first. Present a reasoned response. It can be impassioned, but make sure it is not a knee-jerk reaction. Example: "I love Jesus because he's my personal Lord and Savior!" "Oh is that right? Then why do I smell crap every time you open your mouth? You stupid idiot!"
- Try to understand what others are saying. Don't write people off, but try to understand where they are coming from. Walk in their shoes for a minute. Example: "In my opinion, God is your imaginary friend!" "Well, men are from Mars; women are from Venus. But you might as well be speaking from Uranus, you stupid idiot!"
- If you don't understand what they are saying, ask for clarity. Don't assume you know what they mean. Example: "I don't believe there is a literal Hell." "That's why I think you're going to hell!" "Ya, well, I must already be there because I'm talking to you, you stupid idiot!"
- Even if we argue ideas, try to respect and appreciate other people. Example: "I'll pray for you, that you will get saved and go to church." "Ya, well, I pray that you get drilled through the head with a meteor, you stupid idiot!"