Make A Comment; Win A Woodcut!!
I'm feeling kinda tired and a little burned out folks. Lots happening personally, in my church community and in the world. So I thought I'd keep today's post a little simple and hopefully pleasant. Make a comment on this post and win my original woodcut pictured here! As many of you have probably gathered by now, I'm an artist. My main medium is watercolor, but lately I've been experimenting with hand-coloring my woodcuts. I enjoy working with the wood, and the method is very conducive to my style. At least I think so. I am putting more effort into my art these days... for several reasons that I'd like to share with you:
- I am creative, and I find that if I ignore that part of me for too long, then I begin to suffer. My wellness is directly related to my creative output.
- I am so terribly in debt that I need to increase my income somehow. Some people would like me to enforce or teach the concept of tithing to my church, because (it is true) if everyone in our church tithed, our community's finances would dramatically improve and I'd get the raise I need. But I'm unwilling to. I'll write a post on that soon!
- I enjoy business, even the business of art. I pastor a church that has been described as having an "entrepreneurial spirit". It is true: most people are self-employed it seems. I continually try to encourage business people, and constantly endeavor to promote creativity and passionate innovation.
- I think I create some fine pieces of art that not only beautify a home or office, but also communicate a message of serenity, contemplation, peace, and tranquility. I've been told that my art points to something beyond, something eternal, something infinite, that it is emotive and oriental and courageous.
- I love artists and the artist community. They are usually out there, living on the edge, radical, non-conformist, edge-riders, offensive and marginal. In fact, some are downright troubled. I love these people and don't mind being counted among them.